Sunday 14 September 2008

SIN CHEW DAILY REPORTER DEFENDS REPORT

Sin Chew Daily Reporter Defends Report

BUKIT MERTAJAM, Sept 13 (Bernama)-- Sin Chew Daily reporter, Tan Hoon Cheng who was released Saturday after being detained under the Internal Security Act (ISA) defended her report on alleged racist remarks made by former Bukit Bendera Umno chief, Datuk Ahmad Ismail.

Tan, 33, said the report was done in a professional manner and was based on what she heard on the night the remarks were made.

"I just write what I heard," she told reporters at her house here after being released at 2.40pm Saturday.

Friday, Tan was detained under the ISA at her home in Taman Alma at about 8.40pm over the controversial report.

Tan said she was treated well by the police during the 17 hours in custody.

"My thanks to everybody including the police who treated me in a very good and professional way," she said.

"I could not sleep but the police treated me well, no problem," she said adding that the incident will not deter her from carrying out her duties.

Ahmad has since been suspended for three years by Umno and also has been stripped of all his party posts.

-- BERNAMA

No comments: